Sleep Health & Product Information
- Sleep Health
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)
- Treatment Pathways - General Information
- Treatment Pathways - Oral Appliance Therapy (OAT)
- Treatment Pathways - Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP)
- DROWZLE System & Smartphone Application
- DROWZLE Sleep Box
- Sleep Well/Live Well - Sleep Improvement Program
Medical & Dental Providers
Is OAT safe? Are there any known side effects or risks is using this treatment method?
Possible OAT side effects
OAT devices are safe. The dentist providing oral appliances should have sufficient experience treating OSA and sufficient volume of fitting these appliances to be proficient. Side effects are usually minor and may include jaw pain and changes to the bite with prolonged use. Oral appliances need to be specially fabricated in those patients who also have temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ). Devices used to treat TMJ can worsen OSA.